Archive for the ‘community’ Category

Flickr photo by JonoTakesPhotos Yesterday as I was leaving my house, I was held up from turning on feeder road near my house by a man in an electric scooter passing by. He was “driving” in the road. Several cars were lining up behind him as they waited for an opportunity to pass him on […]

If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, you may have seen my occasional posts titled “day … | [insert word here].”  Last summer I moved back to Virginia and I needed a way to document that. Maybe I subconsciously knew I wouldn’t be able to take it all in. I have been a serial […]

I was invited to expand a previously written post found here about NOMA and it’s importance on the organization’s 40th anniversary. This article was written for the American Planning Association (APA) Planning and the Black Community Division’s (PBCD) Winter newsletter which focused on social equity. You can download the entire newsletter here.

It’s January; that means that a lot of students who received college acceptance letters are now working on financial aid applications. Several news outlets are covering the topic of low and moderate-income students’ experience getting in to and succeeding in college. I recieved a full scholarship for my undergraduate education. Without that scholarship, I would […]

It’s January; that means that a lot of students who received college acceptance letters are now working on financial aid applications. Several news outlets are covering the topic of low and moderate-income students’ experience getting in to and succeeding in college. I recieved a full scholarship for my undergraduate education. Without that scholarship, I would […]

My last few posts have been related to transportation in communities. There seems to be a lot of stories in the news that have me reflecting on this. A recent story on NPR’s Morning Edition reported on care features that make it easier for older people to remain in the drivers seat long into thier […]

An article was recently published in Atlantic Cities showing that over time cyclists and pedestrians spend more at local businesses because they visit the businesses more frequently than drivers. The data and graphs supports effort to make communities more pedestrian and bike friendly. This quote about Portland, Oregon really struck me as I think about […]

Last week my mom would have turned 62. We are all saddened she couldn’t be here. However, the number of people that reached out to us over the last month was an awesome testimony to her life and the value she gave to so many in her many community circles and the life lessons she […]

Last week my mom would have turned 62. We are all saddened she couldn’t be here. However, the number of people that reached out to us over the last month was an awesome testimony to her life and the value she gave to so many in her many community circles and the life lessons she […]